RE: New to XSL-FO(need suggestion regarding formatters)

Hello,

I don't know if your XML use DocBook (www.docbook.org) to describe their
content, but you can check this website to see how to convert XML files to
PDF files. The thing you have to know is the most easy way to do this is to
generate a FO file from the XML using XSL sheets, and then generate the PDF
file from the FO using a FO render (FOP, XEP...). If you need inspiration to
write your XSLT, just check the DocBook [Wiki] website (even if your XML
don't respect DocBook). Check http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/ for FO specs.

If you want to use .NET to do the PDF generation from your XML/XSL files,
you can use the System.Xml.XmlDocument to load your XML document, and then
System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform to load the XSL sheets and apply them to your
XML document:

frlrfsystemxmlxslxsltransformclasstransformtopic.asp

You'll obtain a FO file. Then do an external call to a FO render to generate
the final PDF from the FO.

Another way is to use an FO renderer embedded version but I don't know
anything about this (I only know RenderX is planning a .NET version of XEP).

Ok to sum up (because my English is bad and confusing ^^):
- write your XSL sheets to transform your XML into XSLFo
- use .NET XmlDocument and XslTransform to apply those sheets to your XML,
you should obtain a valid XSLFo file
- call an external (or embedded) FO render to generate the PDF from the FO

Hope that could help a little :)
Brice MARTIN

INSA Lyon | brice(dot)martin(at)insa-lyon(dot)fr
DSIT SNCF | brice(dot)martin(at)sncf(dot)fr