Re: Relative to absolute conversion

From: <Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:51:53 +0100
To: Nanning Buitenhuis <nanning@elvenkind.com>
Cc: www-xsl-fo@w3.org, www-xsl-fo-request@w3.org

> The XSL-FO spec states in 5.3.1 (2nd paragraph) that
>    If the corresponding absolute property is not explicitly specified,
>    then then the computed value of the absolute property is set to the
>    computed value of the corresponding relative property.
>
> However, most relative properties have components, and the corresponding
> absolute properties are single values (border, margin, and padding)
>
> The most appropriate component would be 'optimum', so setting f.e.
>   padding-start.maximum
> would not set any of
>   padding-(top|bottom|left|right)
>
> Setting
>   inline-progression-dimension.maximum
> would set
>   max-(width|height)
> because there is a clear one-on-one relation.

I think the key lies in the wording 'computed value': the computed value
doesn't have any components anymore. It is a single value that will be
used for that property.

Best regards,
-----
Klaas Bals  -  Technical Manager
Inventive Designers
Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com