Re: XSL-FO Inquiry

From: Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:43:43 +0100
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Cc: "'Reeyanne G. dela Cruz'" <r.delacruz@ssl.fujitsu.com>

Le Mercredi 28 Janvier 2004 11:56, Victor Vishnyakov a écrit :
> > Currently, all the necessary data in the PDF file that I need
> > to produce are all in the database and it would be a lot
> > simpler if I could access them directly from an .fo file.  Is
> > this feasible?
>
> No, you can't. XSL-FO is eXtensible Stylesheet Language - Formatting
> Objects. Only formatting is available.
>
> But the most of the databases can produce XML result directly form the
> query. The only thing you need is to create XSL Transformation for the
> XML result of your query.

Yes.

In _theory_ you could write a XLST query that extracts the data from the FO
file. After all, FO is just another kind of XML.

But FO is not something you can _easily_ query.

In fact the best thing to do depends on your processing model :

	XML (something) => XML (FO) => PDF
	^

	do a XSLT query on this one

	database (structured somehow) => XML (FO) => PDF
	^

	do a SQL query on this one

--
Quand quelqu'un partage mon opinion, j'ai l'impression
de ne plus avoir qu'une demi-opinion.