Re: Overflow

At 2003-09-17 17:44 -0700, Jim Donnelly wrote:
>I'm having trouble determining the best approach.

Sounds like you have it already: do the first 10 on the first page, then
when it comes time to do the second page reprocess all those dates that
have more than 10.

>I've looked at using:
>
>                         <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="calender">
>                         <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
>                                 <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>                                         master-name="calender-page"
>                                         page-position="first" />
>                                 <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>                                         master-name="overflow-page"
>                                         page-position="rest"/>
>                         </fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
>                 </fo:page-sequence-master>
>
>But this doesn't seem to fit the bill because what's changing is the flow
>not the static data. The Overflow page needs to look much differen from
>the calender page.

Then it *does* fit the bill because you set up a page sequence of
geometries so that you can dramatically change the look on the overflow
page if you want.

>What would you suggest as the best approach to solve this problem?

Which problem ... it sounds like you are already on the right path.

After finishing the first page's entries of up to 10 activities each day,
then check to see if any of the days have more activities and, if so,
trigger a new page.  The formatter will go to your page sequence and obtain
the next geometry, which will be your overflow geometry.

BTW, a simpler page sequence would be a <single-page-master-reference>
followed by a <repeatable-page-master-reference> ... no conditional
checking required.

I hope this helps.

......................... Ken

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-09-22
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc