ID attribute bug in FOP????

From: Robin Harvey <rh@harrogatesoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:07:54 +0100

Hi.

I'm trying to set up an index for the xsl-fo / fop project that i'm working
on, by adding an id attribute into the body of my pages.  The XSL generates
ok, but when i try to use FOP to generate a PDF, it comes up with an error:

[ERROR] file:/C:/fop/fop-0.20.5/XSL-Output-temp.fo:7:483 The id "azizacce01"
already exists in this document
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException:
file:/C:/fop/fop-0.20.5/XSL-Output-temp.fo:7:483 The id "azizacce01" already
 exists in this document
        at
org.apache.fop.datatypes.IDReferences.createID(IDReferences.java:119)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:203
        (etc.....)

I've opened the fo file manually in a text editor, and there is definitly
only one reference to 'azizacce01', furthermore this is the very first ID
attribte in the entire document.  This bug seems to have been reported lots
of times on the FOP bug tracker site, so there's little point in me
reporting it.
So, the question is, is there a way round this?  I'm pretty inexperienced
when it comes to Java programming, and i don't really fancy wading through
the FOP code to try and fix this myself.  Is there any alternative to FOP,
which doesn't include this bug?!?  I would consider paying for a commercial
pdf generator, so does anyone have any recommendations??

Thanks in advance

Robin