Re: Newbie .. XML to PDF .. but with ...

From: Mike Haarman <mhaarma@socsci.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:41:59 -0600 (CST)
To: Doris Ferrarese <DorisF@omecron.com>
cc: www-xsl-fo@w3.org

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Doris Ferrarese wrote:

> I am looking for alternatives to facilitate converting into PDFs from XML.

XSL is obviously an alternative you should consider.

> Requirements:
> . TOC and index needs to be generated
> . ability to create cross-references within pages.
> . ability to embed tables with text embedded in pdfs.
> . ability to embed graphics into pdfs.
> . ability to generate header and footer within pdf pages.
> . ability to modify appearance of pdf via css would be nice.

Get a good book on the subject or read an on-line tutorial.  The only
requirement above that might be considered a difficulty would be capturing
page numbers for indexing or references.  There are commercial and
open-source implementations of Formatting Objects processors that answer
your needs.

Mike Haarman
mhaarma@socsci.umn.edu