Re: unresolved Entity-References

At 2003-02-12 14:45 +0100, kim.weit@swipnet.se wrote:
>I have a short question and I would be very helpfull if someone could help
>me. If the XSL-Prozessor receives a input source from the parser with
>unresolved Entity-References how should it actually react?

An unresolved entity reference makes the document not well-formed, so the
processor is obliged to reject the document.

It can be considered a disservice to the web community that web browsers
were lax in the processing of web documents, thus producing the mess of
invalid HTML pages out there today ... yet others might argue that strict
adherence to SGML by browsers would have killed the ease-of-use.

But by the time XML came along it was generally accepted that
well-formedness is inviolate and that became a critically important aspect
of XML processing.

I hope this helps.

............... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth   Europe:         February 17-21, 2003
XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO     North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO