Re: XSL Errata document updated

From: W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:54:52 -0500
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org

Dave Pawson wrote:

>>>- 1 to your example, since functions
>>>are not in single quotes, content to functions
>>>is?
>>>e.g. "document('file.ext')"
>>
>>url() isn't a function.  It is not listed in section 5.10.
>

> Oh! OK. Looks like a function... to me? A name, content in braces?
> I'm more bothered that if you are right, its an exception
> to 'the family' (xslt, xpath, xsl-fo).

I think it's perfectly consistent with, for example, XPointer which
requires a scheme indicator around an XPointer term, e.g.,
href="#xpointer(//foo/bar)", where the syntax has the same syntactic
form as typical functions, but is not formally called a function, in
particular, it is not something that can be used in expressions
generally and it is not defined as returning anything.

The "xpointer()" in the above URL is not a function (in the formal
sense) but an identifier of the scheme used to interpret the expression
between the parens:

 From XPointer Cand. Rec, Section 4.2.1 Full XPointers :

"... [Definition: XPointer parts; each starts with a scheme name and is
followed by a parenthesized expression, and multiple parts are
optionally separated by white space.]"

Cheers,

Eliot
--