Re: xsl-fo first anniversary

From: Sharon Adler <sca@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:47:04 -0400
To: eliot@isogen.com
Cc: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.ox.ac.uk>, www-xsl-fo@w3.org

Yes, there is still an IBM implementation and yes it is still under

Sharon C. Adler
 Senior Manager, Extensible Technologies
 IBM Research
 PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY  10598
 tel:  914-784-6411 t/l 863
 fax: 914-784-6324

                      "W. Eliot Kimber"
                      <eliot@isogen.com        To:       Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.ox.ac.uk>
                      >                        cc:       www-xsl-fo@w3.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: xsl-fo first anniversary
                      10/19/02 09:53 AM
                      Please respond to

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 21:57, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> (an interesting version of events. I still claim you mention Brian Reid.
> and LaTeX is a product of the 1980s).

Thanks for the clarification. Whose is Brian Reid? Please educate us.

>>   - XSL FO recommendation published. Four implementations availble:
>>FOP, XEP, XSL Formatter, and Epic (partial implementation)
> Feel free to write PassiveTeX out of history; it was formatting
> (pre-rec) XSL FO documents in summer 1999, along with the predecessor to
> XEP. see Montreal conference that summer.

I was not aware of PassiveTeX--it's omission was not intentional.
Clearly I wasn't paying attention in that session of the conference. And
I must admit that I've only been tracking FO closely for the last year,
so I appologize for failing to mention anything done before that time.

> and no-one ever seems to mention the IBM implementation. does it still
> exist?

I also didn't know there was an IBM implementation.

W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139