Re: Using XSL-FO For Heavily-Designed Documents (e.g., magazines)

From: Dave Pawson <dpawson@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:32:01 +0100
To: eliot@isogen.com, www-xsl-fo@w3.org

At 13:14 18/10/2002 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

>Has anyone given any thought to how XSL-FO could be applied to
>heavily-designed documents, such as magazines?

I've heard this being dicussed as coming from the opposite direction.
Define the layout areas, then identify content to 'fill' them, including
continuations, which is basically
the same model as the DTP model, except that is manual.
  Max and Paul have given it a fancy name, which I can't remember.

Is it an 'extension' to the xsl-fo way of operating?
Perhaps area specification via a gui, capture that, id each area, then do
the select and target.
fo:flow with id X goes to areaID 14, 34 then 56.
fo:flow with id Y goes to areaID 2, 4.
etc.

Regards DaveP.