Re: Arabic characters and FOP

From: patrick andries <patrick.andries@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:59:08 -0400
To: sa349@daimlerchrysler.com
Cc: www-xsl-fo@w3.org

----- Message d'origine -----
De : <sa349@daimlerchrysler.com>
À : "patrick andries" <patrick.andries@videotron.ca>
Envoyé : 8 oct. 2002 14:49

hi pat,
u r true, property "direction" is not implemented yet.
but the main problem is the arabic alphabets changes their shape according
to their position in the word. this is for joining the letters in form of
chain in the word.

[PA] Yes, I know this. This is what the bidirectional (and contextual)
algorithm should do, it is different but complimentary to the direction
property. Implementing the bidi algorithm would take some time (I  would
like to hear from the new branch people though, is it ready for someone to
add bidi support ?).

> you can see that happening in the .fo file. (that i suppose bcoz xml
support utf-8)

[PA] No, most probably because you use some bidi-enabled editor. What are
you using to see the characters being contextualized ?

Patrick Andries
o - 0 - 0
Tout Unicode en français
Nouveaux textes !