Re: problem with page-numbering

At 2002-11-07 08:13 -0500, jkirmse@w3.org wrote:
>i have a problem with the page-numbering.
>is it possible to calculate with
>fo:page-number and fo:page-number-citation so that
>i do something like this:
>
><fo:page-number-citation/> - (<fo:page-number/> - 1) ???

No ... these two formatting objects add glyphs to areas on the page, they
are not representations of abstract numbers for use in arithmetic.

>the other question: is it possible to
>put fo:page-number in <xsl:variable/>  ???

The construct can go in a variable as a result tree fragment to be added to
the resulting XSL-FO file on demand, but a given page's page number cannot.

My impression is you are missing an important aspect of XSL in that the
XSLT is "arms length" from the XSL-FO.  Your stylesheet acts on your XML to
produce XSL-FO, but the XSL-FO engine works on your resulting XSL-FO
instance only when the instance is completely created.

There is no feedback loop between the on-the-fly formatting interpretation
and the stylesheet transformation.  Formatting involves supplying the
engine with contingencies for situations the formatter might find itself
in, rather than querying the formatter for real-time situations.

I hope this helps.

..................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06