RE: XSL-FO and Word

There is Rtf2fo (RTF being word's ASCII format) at
http://rtf2fo.novosoft-us.com/index.html.  I've only used it a couple times
but it seems like it should solve what you are trying to do.  You'll have to
pay for it though.  I've also started a project merging JFOR (www.jfor.org)
with FOP (http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html) so that one can go back from
FO and output documents in RTF (or pdf).  It should make an appearance in
the next few months.  The best thing about JFOR and FOP is they are open
source.

Chris Scott

Westinghouse Electric Company
Nuclear Fuels Division