Re: Question on implementation of the language property

From: Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:44:04 +0200
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 15:52, Paul Grosso wrote:
> Stepping down as "designated speaker" of the XSL FO subgroup
> and speaking instead as an XSL FO implementor, I'd like to
> say that Arbortext's Epic Editor XSL FO support works much like
> that of RenderX's XEP as described by Nikolai.  The language
> property value is used as a key to select hyphenation (and
> spelling) tables/dictionaries.  We allow two letter codes.
> Also speaking as a user, stylesheet writer, and implementor,
> I would find it very surprising if something as common as
> language="en" or language="fr" in my stylesheet caused an
> error.

It should never cause an error, as RFC 3066 says that it's correct usage to
use two letters codes if they are available.

Instead, a formatter that strictly implements RFC 3066 could refuse
and accept
as there is a two letters code for English and French but not for Venda. But
as I've said, it's better to accept 3 letters codes in every case, should
there be a two letters replacement or not.

>  Many of my customers don't even know the 3 letter
> language code for english or french or german or whatever.
> Especially since 2 letter codes are allowed for xml:lang,
> I think XSL should allow 2 letter codes as valid values of
> the language property.

It does already do that, since it references RFC 3066 and since RFC 3066 says
it's the correct construct.

Éric Bischoff