Re: Using FOA on Mac OS X

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 04:31 AM, Louis Cornet wrote:

> Yes, I have [created a new project].
> Let me give you a detailed example of my problem. To create a new
> page, I right-click on page-button. A dialog appears where I can
> set page-size and margins. After clicking on Update button, a new
> dialog box appears, which should let me give a name to this new
> page. This dialog box is empty.  It does the same thing while creating
> new page-sequence or new attributes.
>
> This way, it is impossible to create any page, page-sequence,
> attribute... and therefore impossible to use FOA.

I see something different.  When I hit "Update", nothing happens.
I have to hit ESC (or the red ball "close window" icon) to dismiss
the dialog.  Only then can I get to the "Name" dialog.   This seems
to be a problem with the "Name" dialog getting popping up underneath
its parent dialog, and does not occur under Windows.

(But as a matter of interface design, the "name" property belongs _in_
the Page Properties dialog itself, not in yet another pop up dialog.)

Also, on occasion the Page Manager view doesn't refresh itself.  When
this happens, a page which has been added doesn't show up until
I save, close, and re-open the project.

In short, indeed, FOA 0.3.0 doesn't seem to run very well on Mac OS X.

> What I don't understand is why I have this problem and you
> don't, since we both run FOA 0.3.0 on Mac Os X? (same version,
> same OS).

Which version of Java for Mac OS X is installed on your machine.
If you type "java -version" at a prompt in a Terminal session, you
should get

[localhost:~] pf% java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-root_1.3.1_020420-16:58)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1, mixed mode)

If not, you need to get the Java Update 1 (I think that's it) from ADC
(Apple Developer Connection)

    http://connect.apple.com

Paul Furbacher