Re: Line break between image and text

At 2002-08-09 11:53 +0200, Hugues Pichereau wrote:
>Tried, doesn't work.

??? Pardon me, but it does work, which is why I took the time to try it out
with a conforming processor before posting the functioning snippet of markup.

>Here's the code :

Often showing the code doesn't help at all for two reasons:

  (1) - not showing the data means no-one can determine what is happening

  (2) - showing the data means someone has to take the time to figure out
the XSLT instead of answer the question about XSL-FO

This is a long response because I think this is a very important issue for
people who are new to this technology:  XSL-FO is just a vocabulary, and it
doesn't matter how you get from your XML vocabulary to the XSL-FO
vocabulary.  Showing a bunch of code and data changes your question from an
XSL-FO question to an XSLT question.

When I teach XSL-FO, I don't teach XSLT ... I only teach the elements and
attributes of the XSL-FO vocabulary because my students will all have
different ways of getting to what they need.  For the exercises of the
hands-on part of the course, a student can choose to either edit XSLT
stylesheets if they know transformation, or they can just edit skeleton
XSL-FO instances if they don't.  One didn't need to know XSLT to learn
HTML, so I figure one needn't have to know XSLT to learn XSL-FO, and this
has been well received by all of my students so far (18 deliveries to date,
three more coming up in the next two months).

>"G. Ken Holman" wrote:
>The following illustrates this to me on Antenna House

By showing you only the XSL-FO that is needed, you can consider how to get
there from your XML, but I didn't post the example until I ran it with a
processor to ensure I wasn't leading you astray.

You don't mention what processor you are using, but if the example XSL-FO I
gave to you doesn't work in whatever processor you are using, then no
amount of XSLT is going to help you get the result you want.  Did you even
try to modify the snippet I gave you to meet the required end-of-line
conditions in your situation to determine if the correct use of the
vocabulary gives you the results you need with the processor you are using?

I don't see what more can be done for you other than showing you the
vocabulary you need to get the result you are asking for ... that was,
after all, what you were asking for in the first place.

If, of course, by saying "doesn't work" means you interpret that I have
misunderstood the Recommendation and used the processor in an incorrect
fashion, I would welcome a discussion citing chapter and verse of the
Recommendation in order to foster a better understanding all around.  But
just saying "doesn't work" without justification may bring the approach
into question for a new user, which would be unfortunate if they believed
it was wrong when it wasn't.

Regarding your post, http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list is a list
that can help you with challenging XSLT questions.

I hope this helps people who are new to XSL-FO better understand about the
nature of this technology.

................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:
-                               North America:  Sep 30-Oct  4,2002

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1                Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:           2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03,07,10