Re: XSL:FO Total Page count

At 01/08/31 19:02 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 13:26 30/08/2001 -0400, Jay Balunas wrote:
>>      Is there a way to get the total number of pages in a document.  I need
>>to display the old "#cur. of #total" display.  I got the <fo:page-number>
>>easy enough but I can't find anything on this.
>
>http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/N8703.html#d244e33

I think I've proven in an earlier post that this doesn't work in the
general case, though it does work in the simple case.

The suggestion in the FAQ is:

last page citation:  <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="endofdoc"/>
last page referent: <fo block id="endofdoc">

However, should the last page have a number of floats that spill on to the

So, one might think to put the last page referent at the end in a float so
that it stacks after any other floats that might on the last page and, when
pushed off the last page of blocks, the referent is on the last page with
the floats.

But ... if there are no floats on the last page (and you don't know if
there are or there aren't), the act of adding a float with the referent
block triggers the generation of the xsl-before-float-separator sub-region
and if you have a definition for xsl-before-float-separator, that appears
on the page but without any apparent float because the referent is empty.

If I don't have any other floats on the last page, I certainly don't want
the xsl-before-float-separator showing up.

Looking at PR, I don't see this conundrum has been addressed.  I think it
needs an explicit property so the formatter decides what the last page is,
not the stylesheet writer.

...................... Ken

--
Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-10-01/05

G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0     +1(613)489-0999   (Fax:-0995)
Web site:     XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
Book:  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
Next public instructor-led training:      2001-09-18,09-19,10-01,10-04,
-                                         10-22,11-05,12-09,12-10,02-02