Re: headers with different content

Yes, absolutely. Bear in mind that you can have as many fo:static-content's
defined as you wish, with arbitrary flow-names. Map the static-content for
the first page header to the region-before for the simple-page-master that
applies to the first page; map the static-content for the header for all
other pages to the region-before for the simple-page-master that applies to
all but the first page.

Example:

<fo:layout-master-set>
<!-- layout for the first page -->
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="first"
    page-height="29.7cm"
    page-width="21cm"
    margin-top="1cm"
    margin-bottom="2cm"
    margin-left="2.5cm"
    margin-right="2.5cm">
    <fo:region-body margin-top="3cm"/>
    <fo:region-before region-name="header-first"
        extent="3cm"/>
    <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

    <!-- layout for the other pages -->
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="rest"
    page-height="29.7cm"
    page-width="21cm"
    margin-top="1cm"
    margin-bottom="2cm"
    margin-left="2.5cm"
    margin-right="2.5cm">
    <fo:region-body margin-top="3cm"/>
    <fo:region-before region-name="header-rest"
        extent="3cm"/>
    <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

<fo:page-sequence-master master-name="firstAndRest" >
  <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-name="first"
   page-position="first" />
  <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-name="rest"
   page-position="rest" />
  <!-- recommended fallback procedure -->
  <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-name="rest" />
</fo:page-sequence-master>

  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <!-- end: defines page layout -->

  <!-- actual layout -->
  <fo:page-sequence master-name="firstAndRest">

<fo:static-content flow-name="header-first">
<fo:block>
Blah blah blah
</fo:block>
</fo:static-content>

<fo:static-content flow-name="header-rest">
<fo:block>
Blah blah blah
</fo:block>
</fo:static-content>