Follow-up on region precedence

From: Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:23:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org
Hi, all

I have been staring at the XSL spec on screen a bit too much, and the little
words are blurring togther. :-) In any case, when I read the section on
regions (6.4.14-17) a few days ago, I managed to convince myself that
region-start and region-end also have a "precedence", based on section
7.24.15, which states that all 4 outer regions _do_ have a "precedence"
property.

I have since discussed this with others, and I am quite certain that 7.24.15
is completely in error. Once it is dismissed, and only 6.4.14-17 are taken
into account, then a much more consistent picture emerges. FOP happens to
follow what is presumably the correct interpretation, and I believe other
implementations do, too. I guess at the time of writing code everybody
ignored the property description. :-) I wrote a chunk of that code myself,
but I can't remember... Just as well.

It would be useful to have a pronouncement on the property description, just
so we know for sure that it's out to lunch. In any case, please ignore my
diagram in the previous email - it is based on 7.24.15.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)