Re: formatting problem

From: Lukas Pietsch <Lukas.Pietsch@pluto.uni-freiburg.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:16:43 +0100
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>

Some days ago I asked for advice on the following problem on this list:

> I would like to typeset some data consisting of example sentences with
> interlinear word-by-word translations, as used by linguists. Please view the
> following example in a fixed-width font to get an idea what I mean:

> (1) Dies ist ein langes, ├╝ber mehrere Zeilen reichendes, schwierig
>    This is  a   long    over several lines  reaching    difficult

>    zu setzendes linguistisches Beispiel
>    to typeset   linguistic     example

> In this kind of example, the original sentence and its translation should be
> displayed in separate lines one below the other. Across the two lines, each
> original word and its translation should be vertically aligned. If either the
> original or the translation do not fit in one line, both should be broken together
>as shown here.

It has now occurred to me that, in theory, nesting <fo:block>s withing <fo:inline-container>s might offer a solution to this problem. Only, <fo:inline-container> is apparently not yet implemented in FOP, so I can't test it. Also, I'm not absolutely certain if I understood the docs right about the semantics of this element. Could anybody tell me if I'm right in thinking that something along the following lines would do the job, once implemented? Using <fo:inline> instead of <fo:inline-container> is not working.

<fo:block>
 <fo:inline-container>
  <fo:block>Dies</fo:block>
  <fo:block>This</fo:block>