FOP performance

From: Lukas Pietsch <Lukas.Pietsch@pluto.uni-freiburg.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:11:07 +0100
To: <www-xsl-fo@w3.org>
Hello,

sorry if this may be a bit off-topic here--if there are better places to direct FOP-specific user questions to, I'd be grateful for a pointer.

I'm new to xsl-fo and related matters and I've just managed to set up FOP (0.20) and make a few test runs. I'm now wondering a bit about its performance. Parsing a single test xml document with just a few words in it, transforming it with the docbook xsl stylesheets and outputting to pdf takes more than 40 seconds. It's fifteen seconds before I even get the first debug line ("[DEBUG]: using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser"). Afterwards, it says "[DEBUG]: Avg render time: 10600ms/page".
Is this considered normal? It makes me wonder if my FOP installation (or indeed my Java installation) is set up correctly.

This is on Windows 98, with a 500MHz AMD-K6 processor and 128 MB memory, using FOP 0.20.0 and the Java JRE 1.3.1.

Thanks for any pointers,

Lukas Pietsch