RE: XSL FO and the generation of "change bars"

With thanks to my manager who critiqued the change bars as to placement on
browser page, width, etc., I have revised the example of change bars
implementation in my previous reply to this topic.

The following revision might help design an XSL style sheet that uniformly
maintains change bars on the outer boundary of a double-sided document. (I
gather that is what you meant by "non-binding" side?) Copy and paste the
below code within the first and last comments to a blank .html text file
(i.e., name it "test.html") then open the file in any browser (Netscape/IE).

CHANGE BARS EXAMPLE (Revised)

<!-- XSL Change Bars example by Eugene Ingram Jr (ingram@usa.net) -->

<P>To implement this example, assign an attribute (such as changebars) to
each element in the XML file that has been changed. (In ArborText you can
place the cursor on each changed paragraph, then press ALT-A to add an
element "revisionflag" and mark it as "changed".) Then create an XSL
stylesheet that applies the HTML tag called DIV to ONLY changed elements,
closing /DIV immediately after each changed element, by formatting DIV as
follows:</P>

<DIV
STYLE="position:relative;left:-5;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:5;
border-left-width:thin;border-left-color:#000000;">
<P>This is CHANGED element text such as found in a PARA element. Element
text can be one line or an entire paragraph. Change bars are applied to
entire element. If element comprises a paragraph then the change bars
appear to the left ('border-left-style') or the right ('border-right-style')

of each line in the paragraph. I have tested right and left instances of
this
code by pasting all commented text in this XML Change Bars example into the
file "test.html", and opening file in the latest versions of Netscape and
Explorer. The change bars display to the left of this paragraph.<P>
</DIV>

<DIV
STYLE="position:relative;right:-5;border-right-style:solid;padding-right:5;
border-right-width:thin;border-right-color:#000000;">
<P>This is CHANGED element text such as found in a PARA element. Element
text can be one line or an entire paragraph. Change bars are applied to
entire element. If element comprises a paragraph then the change bars
appear to the left ('border-left-style') or the right ('border-right-style')

of each line in the paragraph. I have tested right and left instances of
this
code by pasting all commented text in this XML Change Bars example into the
file "test.html", and opening file in the latest versions of Netscape and
Explorer. The change bars display to the right of this paragraph.<P>
</DIV>

<P>Notice that <span style="background-color:#F9FC83">any HTML color code
can
give the change bars some urgency</span> (and make them stand out). Color
combinations could even denote levels of urgency. Fire Engine Red is a
logical
choice for high priority changes:</P>

<DIV
STYLE="position:relative;right:-5;border-right-style:solid;padding-right:5;
border-right-width:thin;border-right-color:#CC0033;">
<P>This is CHANGED element text such as found in a PARA element. Element
text can be one line or an entire paragraph. Change bars are applied to
entire element. If element comprises a paragraph then the change bars
appear to the left ('border-left-style') or the right ('border-right-style')

of each line in the paragraph. I have tested right and left instances of
this
code by pasting all commented text in this XML Change Bars example into the
file "test.html", and opening file in the latest versions of Netscape and
Explorer. The change bars display to the right of this paragraph in red.<P>
</DIV>

<P>Notice that the text outside the above tagged paragraph (which could be
an
element comprising a paragraph of text in your XML file) does not display
change bars.</P>

<!-- End of XSL Change Bars example -->

The attributes for STYLE="attributes" in HTML's DIV tag is any CSS
attribute, so you could go to an HTML reference site with a glossary of CSS
attributes such as my favorite: http://www.htmlcompendium.org/

Gene