RE: XPath with SAX?

There has been research work (sorry, I can't point to it specifically)
on defining a subset of XPath that can be executed in streaming mode,
and/or translating XPath expressions into such a subset. A very limited
such subset is used for defining identity constraints in XML Schema. In
general, though, given the reverse axes and arbitrary predicates, the
problem is either impossible or very difficult, and mainstream products
don't attempt it.

Michael Kay