Date and time functions in XPath 2.0

From: Mike Schilling <mschilling@edgility.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:11:09 -0500 (EST)
To: www-xpath-comments@w3.org
Since I'm now facing the issue of making date and time available to an
XPath 1.0 application, I thought I'd see what's coming in 2.0.  While
there's a large number of functions and operators defined, a few quite
useful ones are missing:

Extraction of year, month, date, and day-of-week from date and dateTime.
  You can extract the century or the hour, but nothing in between.
(Actually, get-Year, get-month, and get-day are mentioned in section
14.5 [Casting to duration and date and time types], but are never
defined.   They're also inconsistent with the defined functions, as
being (e.g.) get-month rather than get-month-from-dateTime. By the way,
is there a reason for the inconsistent capitalization?)

Likewise, there's no way to extract a numeric month or day from a
gMonthDay, etc.  (Again, these are mentioned in 14.5, again with
inconsistent names, and again only get-Year is capitalized.)

Thanks,
Mike