XPath attributes

From: Cliff Binstock <binstock@pacifier.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:18:24 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-xpath-comments@w3.org>
Looking at the XPath Recommendation, it appears that the notation

is not actually supported by the grammar.

In particular, I was looking at the grammar to see if the following
statements would return the same results, albeit through
different mechanism (I assume they would, maybe someone can

Note that this observation applies to both the shortcut '@' as well as the
normal 'attribute::' notation.

Specifically, it appears that the only way to add '[]' is via a "predicate",
and a predicate does not seem to permit node notations
(of interest of course is '@' or 'attribute::').

Cliff Binstock