RE: [xsl] Namespace wildcards

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:57:58 +0100
To: Jonas Sicking <sicking@bigfoot.com>, www-xpath-comments@w3.org
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
DOM allows you to create many data structures which cannot be serialized as
well-formed XML, and which (therefore) cannot be easily mapped to the XPath
data model. If we start defining how an XPath processor should handle
anything that might be encountered in a DOM, we have got a very difficult
task on our hands. I think the course we have adopted, of mapping XPath
semantics to the InfoSet, is a sound one, and we shouldn't depart from it.

Mike Kay

siderations
"Note that because the DOM does no lexical checking, the empty string will
be treated as a real namespace URI in DOM Level 2 methods. Applications must
use the value null as the namespaceURI parameter for methods if they wish to
have no namespace."