RE: [xsl] Namespace wildcards

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 15:47:50 -0500 (EST)
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Cc: <www-xpath-comments@w3.org>
At 2:19 PM +0000 2/2/02, Michael Kay wrote:

>I agree it's open to misuse, but there are cases where it is genuinely
>useful. I've heard of a number of cases (though I can't cite them) where
>people have used different namespaces to represent versions or variants of
>an XML vocabulary, but where the variants are sufficiently close to make it
>possible to write stylesheets that can handle all of them.

Didn't one of the earlier drafts of XHTML do this? Yes, checking I
see that it was
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19990824/#normative

However, I recall that this caused a huge hue and cry and was fixed
before it went to Rec. I don't think this is very common in practice.
And as someone else pointed out, if you really needed this you could
always do

<xsl:template match="*[local-name(.)="whatever"]">
</xsl:template>

Let's just not make this too easy. I don't want anyone tripping over
this by accident.

|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java news:  http://www.cafeaulait.org/      |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML news: http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/     |