Re: Must the Literal in a Nodetest be an NCName?

Kay Michael wrote:

> In XPath section 2.3, is it an error if the literal is not a valid NCName?
>
> For example, Saxon currently reports no error for
>
> select="processing-instruction('*')"
>
> Should it?

No. I see nothing that would justify giving an error.  A warning might
be helpful.

> (It's not clear why the syntax uses a literal rather than an NCName here.

To leave the way open to a generalization of XPath in which
processing-instruction() not only loooks like a function but
semantically is a function.  In general XPath is designed so that things
that look like functions are semantically consistent with function
semantics: a bare NCName as a function argument denotes the node-set of
child elements with that name.

> All other names to be matched are written as QNames rather than literals.

Similar case to system-property() in XSLT.

James