little thing: description of document order

From: Nils Klarlund <klarlund@research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:05:02 -0500
To: <www-xpath-comments@w3.org>
> There is an ordering, document order, defined on all the nodes in
> the document corresponding to the order in which the first character
> of the XML representation of each node occurs in the XML
> representation of the document after expansion of general entities.

This sentence is not quite true, I believe, since namespace nodes are
defined below to occur before attribute nodes; and, "Namespaces in
XML" do not, I believe, require that namespace declarations occur
before attributes.  Thus "corresponding" is too strong!  Write
"for the most part corresponding" or something similar.

> Thus, the root node will be the first node. Element nodes occur
> before their children. Thus, document order orders element nodes in
> order of the occurrence of their start-tag in the XML (after
> expansion of entities). The attribute nodes and namespace nodes of
> an element occur before the children of the element. The namespace
> nodes are defined to occur before the attribute nodes. The relative
> order of namespace nodes is implementation-dependent. The relative
> order of attribute nodes is implementation-dependent.

/Nils