xml:lang=""

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:23:34 -0400
To: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org

I'm working on implementing xml:lang handling in XOM for XInclude. One
thing strikes me as very funny. Suppose I have a document written in
English that uses xml:lang="en" on its root element. Suppose this
document includes another doucment also written in English that does
not, however, use any xml:lang attributes. The inclusion process will
create lots of unnecessary and indeed misleading xml:lang="" attributes.
This seems unnecessarily confusing.

Furthermore, the addition of extra xml:lang attributes in unpexpected
places may mess up validation, since most schema languages require these
attributes to be declared like any others.

I still prefer giving no special treatment to xml:lang compared to any
other attribute.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold