Handling unrecognized xpointer schemes

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:39:33 -0400
To: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org

I've probably said this before, but as there's no publicly accessible
issues list and I don't see it in the archives, so I'll say it again in
case I haven't.

The current candidate rec is insufficiently clear on what an
implementation should do when encountering an unrecognized XPointer
scheme in an xpointer attribute, and there's no additional recognized
XPointer scheme to fall back on. In my case thie issue is xpointer()
schemes, but it could also be xpath1() scheme or other custom schemes.
Is this a resource error? a fatal error? Should the processor simply
ignore the xpointer attribute?

The spec says, "A syntax error in the XPointer is a resource error
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-resource-error>." However, this is
not a syntax error, even though it is an error according to section 3.3
of the XPointer framework.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold