Re: Streaming basically impossible in the face of XPointers

At 5:23 PM +0200 1/31/04, Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

>Well, in XInclude.NET we are kinda subsetting too, not supporting
>intra-document refs. In fact XInclude.NET is always streaming for
>main document and for included one it's streaming or DOMing
>depending on presence of XPointer. That might change in the future
>releases and main idea is to keep streaming, but in the face of
>intra-document refs and XPointer it's really questionable.

What does Xinclude.Net do if it hits the end of a document it's been
streaming and suddenly encounters an XPointer that contains an
intradocument reference to earlier in the document?

One implementation strategy I can imagine is to assume you can
stream, stream everything until you encounter an unstreamable
reference, and then dump everything and start over with a tree; but
yuck. That's such a kludge. Still, it might be plausible in
environments where intradocument references were fairly rare, and
would be spec conformant.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu