RE: xinclude fails to use URI syntax for referring to resources?

Perhaps my second draft is better?

<note>
cast to a user-specifed type for inclusion (XML or text).  The returned
media type is therefore essentially ignored for the purposes of
inclusion processing, and the syntax of the fragment identifier of the
returned media type will generally not be applicable to the
user-specified type.  For <att>parse="xml"</att> inclusions,
sub-resources are identified by a separate <att>xpointer</att>
attribute, which is applied after the casting takes place.  While this
does not prevent subresources of XML documents to be identified by URI
(See <loc
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#identification">Architecture of the
World Wide Web [Identification]</loc>), it does limit the use of these
identifiers directly within XInclude.</p>
</note>

When I describe the problem that way, there is an improvement we could
make.  We could say that if the returned media type is actually
application/xml or text/xml, the fragment syntax is interpreted as an
xpointer, and a separate xpointer attribute is not necessary.  Resources
returned with other media types rely on the xpointer attribute.