RE: xinclude fails to use URI syntax for referring to resources?

The Core WG decided to add some explanation about why the split was
made.  Here is my first draft of this text (suggestions welcome):

<note>
def="dt-must">should not</termref> be used; the interpretation and
application of media-specific fragment identifiers in creating
info-items is not guaranteed to be supported across implementations.
For <att>parse="xml"</att> inclusions, sub-resources are identified by a
separate <att>xpointer</att> attribute instead of by a fragment
identifier.  A separate attribute is necessary because a fragment
identifier is interpreted according to the media type of the returned
resource, while the <att>xpointer</att> attribute is applied after the
resource has been cast to application/xml.</p>
</note>

Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm afraid I no longer have time to
keep current on the comments list, but only read it when the Core WG is
actively discussing the comments.  Symptomatic of my discouragement that
these two elements have taken three years so far to develop?