Re: The encoding attr should trigger Accept-Charset

At 7:16 AM +0100 12/11/04, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>Dear XML Core Working Group,
>
>   In order to minimize encoding errors for parse="text" processing,
>please change the definition of the encoding attribute to include a
>requirement that if the attribute has a legal value and the encoding is
>supported and the protocol supports such action, that the server is
>informed of the encoding attribute value, e.g. for encoding="iso-8859-2"
>and a HTTP request, that the request includes
>
>   Accept-Charset: iso-8859-2
>
>such that the server has a chance to provide a proper representation.

This seems like a good idea for implementers. I'm considering adding
it to my implementations. However, I'm not sure this really needs to
be a requirement of the specification. For instance, some people
might be implementing XInclude in an environment where it's difficult
or impossible to set a specific HTTP header.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu