Re: NIST test 41

Elliotte,

The test  was based on the Proposed Recommendation (12 Feb). In this
recommendation section 3.1 states;

"The [children] property of the xi:include element may include a single
xi:fallback element; the appearance of more than one xi:fallback element,
an xi:include element, or any other element from the XInclude namespace is
a fatal error."

Sandra

At 01:13 PM 6/7/2003 -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>I believe NIST test 41 is in error. Section 3.1 of the XInclude CR draft
>states:
>
>The content of the |xi:include| element may
><http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-must> include an |xi:fallback| element.
>Other content is not constrained by this specification and is ignored by
>the XInclude processor, that is, it has no effect on include processing,
>and does not appear in the *[children]* properties of the result infoset.
>Such content might be used by applications analizing a pre-inclusion
>infoset, or be made available to an application post-inclusion through
>means other than the normal infoset properties.
>

>NIST test 41 is as follows:
>
><?xml version="1.0"?>
><!-- The content of the include element is another
>include element, this test should result in a fatal error. -->
><x xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
>    <xi:include href="../ents/something.xml">
>        <xi:include href="../ents/something.xml"/>
>    </xi:include>
></x>
>
>Given that "Other content is not constrained by this specification and is
>ignored by the XInclude processor" I believe that it is legal for an
>xi:include element to contain another xi:include element. This test should
>not result in a fatal error. Alternately, if the test is correct, then the
>language in section 3.1 is incorrect, and needs to be changed; e.g.
>
>The children of the |xi:include| element may
><http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-must> include no more than one
>|xi:fallback| element. and may not contain any other elements from the
>XInclude namespace. Other content not from the XInclude namespace is not
>constrained by this specification and is ignored by the XInclude
>processor, that is, it has no effect on include processing,
>

>--
>Elliotte Rusty Harold

Sandra I. Martinez
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970,