RE: XInclude with a XML Schema instead of DTD

Schema validation works much better with XInclude than DTD validation in most scenarios.  The receiving application generally cares about the contents of the inclusion, not about restricting the appearance of xi:include elements.  So inclusion followed by validation is generally the most useful processing model.  Because DTDs are built into the XML specification, they are applied prior to infoset creation and inclusion.  There is no defined way to validate the post-inclusion infoset with DTDs.