Re: xinclude fails to use URI syntax for referring to resources?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:42:37 -0600
To: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org
Cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:16, Dan Connolly wrote:
> Regarding...
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xinclude-20031110/
>
> I'm sorry to say that I haven't read it in detail,
> but I learned from a last call announcement that
>
> "the optional fragment identifier has been removed from the href
> attribute and is now specifiable
> via a new xpointer attribute."
>
> This seems to introduce a way of pointing from one
> resource to another without using URI references.
>
> This seems like a bad idea, from the perspective
> of Web Architecture.

After discussion with the TAG
  http://www.w3.org/2003/11/15-tag-summary.html#xincl
I've changed my mind... it seems like an OK idea...
XInclude isn't a normal application of XML; it's
a bit of infrastructure, like XML Base, so it
can do things that seem, at a glance, to be
counter to the "Use URIs" principle.

I would like the XInclude spec to cite the
webarch "Use URIs" principle and give a paragraph
of explanation why URIs aren't used in the
usual way.

p.s. was my 10 Nov message received? Anybody home?