Subresource errors

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:42:58 -0400
To: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org

Section 4.2 states:

Resources that are unavailable for any reason (for example the resource
doesn't exist, connection difficulties or security restrictions prevent
it from being fetched, the URI scheme isn't a fetchable one, the
resource is in an unsuppored encoding, the resource is determined
through implementation-specific mechanisms not to be XML, or a syntax
error in an [XPointer Framework]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#XPCore>) result in a resource error
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-resource-error>. Resources that
contain non-well-formed XML result in a fatal error
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-error>.

I would appreciate clarfication on whether a subresource not exisitng is
an error. e.g. http://www.example.org/doc.xml#red when
http://www.example.org/doc.xml exists but does not contain an element
with the ID red. Accoding to the XPointer spec such an XPointer is
indeed in error. However, is it a syntax error or something else?

The XPointer spec does not use the term "syntax error". It does not
distinguish syntax errors from other errors, so there's a little
mismathc between the two specs here. In this case I could see XInclude
either using the fallback (it's an XPointer error) or simply including
nothing (it's not an XPointer *syntax* error.

Either approach seems reasonable, but I think more explicit language is
called for here.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold