Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:31:15 -0400
From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
To: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org
Cc: W3C DOM IG <w3c-dom-ig@w3.org>
Subject: DOM WG last call comments for the XML Inclusions Version 1.0
specification

This is the DOM Working Group last call review for the XML Inclusions
(XInclude) Version 1.0 specification [1].

The XML Inclusions draft introduces a new mechanism for general purpose
inclusion. The DOM Working Group is concerned about the XML Processing
Model,
in particular the processing order of past, present, and future XML
specifications. We believe that the impact of XML Inclusions on the XML
Processing Model must be addressed by the XML Core Working Group before
making
any decision in the DOM API.

Unlike previous versions, DOM Level 3 will define a way to load an XML
file
into a DOM tree. It is part of the Load and Save DOM Level 3 module. XML
Inclusion is not part of our requirements regarding this module and
would
certainly complicate our current load definition. Therefore we don't
plan to add
XML Inclusion as a new requirement for DOM Level 3.

Philippe,
DOM Working Group chair.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2001AprJun/0029.html