RE: Question about XInclude (novice)

XInclude works at the structural level of nodes - it literally copies nodes
from one tree into another tree.

XLink describes how two separate trees are related.  The xlink:show="parsed"
is not legal in the latest XLink draft, but was initially intended to do
something like XInclude does.  It was the judgement of the Linking WG that
the process of copying nodes from one tree to another was significantly
different from describing the relationship or two separate resources that a
separate specification was warranted.  For instance, it is desireable to
perform inclusion before schema processing, but other forms of linking after
schema processing.  Some applications would have need only of inclusion,
others only of linking.

Progress on XInclude has been rather slower than expected, because of the
high volume of other tasks.  It will be another couple of months before the
Candidate Recommendation phase.

XInclude sounds appropriate to your needs.  In some situations, external
entities can be employed as a substitute while XInclude stabilizes.

Thanks for your interest.

- Jonathan Marsh