Re: white space in xsd:hexBinary

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen writes:

> . . .  For usability, it seems to me (speaking solely for myself)
> that allowing whitespace in the lexical forms of xsd:hexBinary (or
> perhaps better, adding a value 'suppress' for the whitespace facet,
> which simply suppresses all whitespace) would be an improvement.
> Unfortunately, a change seems likely to be very difficult, given
> that XSD 1.0 appears to be unambiguous in excluding whitespace from
> the definition of the lexical space for this type, so allowing
> whitespace now would introduce an incompatibility with version 1.0
> of the spec.

Yes, but it's a benign incompatibility, in that it does not render any
1.0-schema-valid documents schema-invalid.  Do we have examples where
incompatibility in this direction has provoked pushback?

I'm querying because I have some sympathy with the request, stimulated
in part in reaction to Liam's post, in that hexBinary is _not_ in fact
a numeric type, in that it's not derived from decimal, and its value
space is not a number, it's a sequence of octets.  As such, allowing
additional whitespace internally is not a particular stretch
semantically. . .

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk