Re: white space in xsd:hexBinary

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 20:41 +0100, Henry Story wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2012, at 20:20, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> Ah that's a pitty.
>
> Still if one could find out what the reasons might be, and if none
> were found to be that serious, one could perhaps have more lenient
> parsers get rid of those whitespaces in the context of RDF/XML.

If you're going to use XML and Schema, use them, don't invent
incompatibilities - any more than I could call it RDF if I allowed
interchange of pairs and fours and not just triples.

Two other workarounds may be possible, I don't know -
(1) define your own type, and in XSD derive it from xs:string with a
constraining facet

(2) use (in XSD) a list of hexBinary values - then whitespace is allowed
between them - and recombine at the application level.

In XSD, hexBinary is representing a base16 number in a similar way that
decimal represents a base10 number; decimal numbers also cannot contain
spaces, even though that's standard practice in some parts of the world
(e.g "30 000 000").

Liam