XSD 1.1: xs:alternative only allowed as child of xs:element?

From: Maik Stührenberg <maik.stuehrenberg@uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:28:35 +0100
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Hello,

I've tried to search both W3C's bugzilla and mailing list archive
regarding the current state of the xs:alternative element introduced in
XSD 1.1 finding an answer to a question that bothers me (without success
up to now -- hence this question):
Is there a reason why type alternatives (using xs:alternative) are only
allowed for element declarations? Maybe I'm just to blind to see but one
of the benefits of XSD 1.0 was that elements and attributes were (more
or less) handled equally (e.g. in terms of defaults).

It would be nice if anyone could give me just a quick hint which
circumstances have lead to this decision (either a mailing list
discussion or anything else).

Best regards,

Maik Stührenberg