Re: Comment on XSD 1.1

Hi Pete,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Pete Cordell <petexmldev@codalogic.com> wrote:
> That would cover 90% of the problems I see people having with XSD today.  An
> XSD 1.2 (or something new) could then add additional features such as
> xs:assert and so on.

I agree to most of your points.

But I feel, having xs:assert significantly improves capability to
define quite complex validation constraints, which were almost
impossible to do in XSD 1.0. xs:assert is a very straightforward
concept to be understood by users, and WG being able to provide it in
XSD 1.1 is I feel, a great addition to the spec.

for e.g., please consider something like below:

<xs:assert test="@min le @max" />

OR

<xs:assert test="@dob gt xs:date('2005-10-10')" />

If we exploit the full power of XPath 2.0, we can write much complex
validation rules,

for e.g.
<xs:assert test="@x = count(for $x in .//* .. something)" />

IMHO, producing such significant additions (like xs:assert) after many
years of WG efforts is a good deliverable.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi