Re: Comment on XSD 1.1

Hi Rick,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:
> What James Clark said* in 2001 at the W3C plenary in Boston when he pointed
> has proved accurate: "little short of a disaster." XML Schemas Structures is
> "overly complex, yet lacking in expressive power."

I respect James Clark for his contributions to XML.

But I can read following response to the text you cited, by Henry S. Thompson:

<quote>
Not surprisingly, as lead editor of XML Schema Part 1: Structures, I'm
not in agreement with either the overall thrust of this article or its
details.

XML Schema is later than anyone would like, but the delays have
largely been due to pressure for increased functionality. With all
respect to the advocates of various light-weight reduced-aspiration
alternatives, XML Schema is the _only_ design which covers the range
of functionality required by the diverse communities eager for an
XML-based alternative to DTDs.

What has pleasantly surprised _me_ over the last few months is how
many people in the XML community are using XML Schema and evidently
getting value from it and finding it straightforward. The availability
of tools which support XML Schema is very encouraging, given that it
hasn't even received final approval from the W3C. For every
high-profile individual asserting that XML Schema doesn't satisfy his
or her idea of the perfect language, I've had dozens of e-mails
testifying to successful use on real projects. It is undoubtedly true,
as in the case of _any_ large project of this nature, that starting
over now on the basis of our experience to date would produce a better
product.

It's also true, in my opinion and that of many in the community, that
XML Schema as it stands will be an incredibly valuable move forward:
not perfect, but the right first step. I'm looking forward to seeing
it deployed, to using it, and to starting work to integrate all we've
learned from the experience and from external input as we begin work
on the next version.
</quote>

Since I consider myself part of an ardent XSD community, I agree with
Henry's remarks.

Sorry, if you don't agree with me.. :-(

--
Regards,