RE: Comment on XSD 1.1

Personal response:

The goals for XSD 1.1 were relatively modest: they are described here

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xmlschema-11-req-20030121/

The specification was not designed to address the known problems with the
complexity of the 1.0 specification, which arise in large measure because of
the sheer variety of requirements it originally set out to meet. Rather, XSD
was designed as a modest backwards-compatible increment from XSD 1.0
designed to remove some of the deficiencies of that specification in terms
of its technical capabilities; in my view, it has succeeded admirably in
doing that. Though of course everyone would like it to have been done rather
sooner, and most of us who were involved I'm sure feel that it could have
been done better if only there weren't so many different views on each
topic.

You are arguing that it would have been better to do something more radical.
Well, if we were having a debate in 2003 about how to allocate resources,
then you might be right. But it's a false premise to suggest that the two
were alternatives (there's no reason why one can't produce a better version
of language A in parallel with producing a new language B); moreover,
there's no finite pool of resources to be allocated (the people interested
in improving A are probably not the same people as those interested in
designing B). Furthermore, we are no longer in 2003, and XSD 1.1 is
essentially finished, so the only choice the community now needs to make is
to decide whether it is an improvement on XSD 1.0 (that is, a sufficient
improvement to justify the cost of implementing and adopting it). You don't
seem to say anything to suggest that this is not the case, so it's hard to
see how your arguments are relevant to the decisions that the community now
needs to make.

By saying that there are big problems with XSD, you aren't saying anything
new or anything that we don't all know. But the fact is, that the software
industry and the user community has an enormous investment in this
technology, and XSD 1.1 needs to be judged on the benefits it offers to this
community, not on the benefits that some hypothetical alternative might have
delivered if we had taken a different direction in 2003.

W3C organized a workshop in 2005 designed to analyze user experience with
XSD 1.0: see

http://www.w3.org/2005/03/xml-schema-user-program

Some hoped that this would provide a springboard to generate the
requirements for a refactoring or layering of the kind you described.
Unfortunately, it failed to do so: although I was not present, my
understanding is that it essentially confirmed that all the requirements
that XSD 1.0 aimed to satisfy were real, and that all the features of XSD
1.0 were needed by someone.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/