Non-primitive built-in simple types

From: Alain Frisch <Alain.Frisch@inria.fr>
Date: 26 Jul 2005 07:17:20 -0600
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hello,

I'd need some clarification about the status of non-primitive built-in
simple types.

Reading paragraph 2.5.3 of XML Schema Part 2, I thought that these types
were only predefined for convenience, which means that equivalent types
could be defined by users. Now, a closer look at the definition for e.g.
integer makes me believe this is not the case:

<<
integer is ·derived· from decimal by fixing the value of
·fractionDigits· to be 0and disallowing the trailing decimal point.

(btw, there is a missing whitespace after 0)

The facet fractionDigits only restricts the value space, not directly
the lexical space, so setting it to 0 does not disallow the trailing
decimal point. This could be done using the pattern facet, but the
definition does not mention this facet.

So, I guess my question is: Are derived built-in types really
conceptually the same as user-derived types, or is there some additional
magic in their definition?

-- Alain