RE: [REVISED] My user experience of the user experience workshop

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:02:40 +0100
To: <steven@semeiosis.com>, <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>, <ryman@ca.ibm.com>

Steven

> I certainly understand this pragmatic - It simply suggests that
> the issue is a broader one and that we do in fact need a standard
> approach industry wide. Zed is now an ISO standard, for example.
> I see nothing wrong with the W3C issuing a recommendation about
> the form of language specs - since it is the users of the spec
> that will benefit from such consistency.

The Web Services Description Working Group uses Z notation
to formalise the WSDL specification, see:

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20-z.html#znotation

In essence this is something of a new adventure for the W3C, owes much
to the work of Arthur Ryman (IBM), and should provide valuable experience
from which other Working Groups may learn.

As said during the workshop, I question the value of applying formalisation
after the event, given so much of its value seems to be in finding bugs and
inconsistencies at a point in time when they can be easily be fixed.

However, I am interested in the potential application of a formal model in
generating and assessing the coverage of test cases.

Paul