RE: XSD 1.1 issue: when did timezones cease being durations?

Dave:
Two points.

1.  I don't understand why timezones are not durations.  Surely, 5 hours and 30 minutes is
a duration or a dayTimeDuration.  You can argue that timezones are a subtype of dayTimeDuration
with special rules for arithmetic.

2.  F&O changed it behavior as of this morning.  The timezone component is now stored as
a dayTimeDuration e.g.  PT5h30m.

All the best, Ashok